Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Review for Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Girl, StolenGirl, Stolen
Author: April Henry
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Source: Personal Copy
Challenge: I Wish I'd Read That, For the Love of YA
213 pages


Sixteen year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of a car while her mom fills her prescription at the pharmacy. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, their car is being stolen—with her inside! Griffin hadn’t meant to kidnap Cheyenne, all he needed to do was steal a car for the others. But once Griffin's dad finds out that Cheyenne’s father is the president of a powerful corporation, everything changes—now there’s a reason to keep her. What Griffin doesn’t know is that Cheyenne is not only sick with pneumonia, she is blind. How will Cheyenne survive this nightmare, and if she does, at what price? - Summary Taken from Goodreads

    Loved it. Simply put, it's a page-turner. First off, I love how April Henry made the story suspenseful by the end of page one. There's no twiddling your thumbs waiting for the story to pick up . . . it just takes off, she wastes no time in getting straight to the chase. Second, Cheyenne is so likeable. Really, I loved her as a main character. She's strong, sassy, and absolutely smart. Even Griffin, the 'bad guy' is somewhat likeable and you pity him - at least I did. I just loved how it switched POV's between the two also, get to see how the situation looks from two angles. Third, I can't get over how much I learned about the blind. I've always wondered how they do things, this book shows you how Cheyenne had to change. Fourth, the plot is awesome, never a slow or dull moment! Great, great plot. Fifth, all the characters were well thought out! AND there is a couple of twists within this book that I loved. One actually kindof took my breath away for a second, I was like WHAT?! Over all, I highly recommend this book! Be sure to check it out! My hat's tipped to April Henry - you did an amazing job!

Excerpt:

   It was a thousand little things that told Cheyenne something was wrong. Even the way the door closed hadn’t sounded right. Too fast and too hard for Danielle. The breathing was all wrong too, speeded up and harsh. Cheyenne sniffed. The smell of cigarettes. But Danielle didn’t smoke and, as a nurse, couldn’t stand anyone who did.
There was no way the person driving the car was her stepmom.
But why would someone else have gotten in the car? It was a Cadillac Escalade, so it wasn’t likely someone had just gotten confused and thought it was their car.
Then she remembered the keys. Somebody was stealing the car!
And Cheyenne was pretty sure they didn’t know she was in it.
. . . . . . . . .Cheyenne realized she was being kidnapped.
But she couldn’t see the guy who was kidnapping her or where they were going.
Because for the last three years, Cheyenne had been blind.

1 comment:

  1. Fab review. I loved this book too. I loved how it kept me in suspense. I also pitied Griffin. He wasn't really a bad guy. In some ways, he was in a worse situation than Cheyenne.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!