Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Review for Remembrance by Michelle Madow

Remembrance (Transcend Time, #1)Remembrance (Transcend Time Saga #1)
By Michelle Madow    
Published by Dreamscape Publishing
Source: Won an Ecopy from Xpresso Reads
314 pages

"New Hampshire high school junior Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England ... but she doesn't know it yet.

Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she seem to get him out of her mind?

Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, the pair of them soon find that fighting fate isn't going to be easy." - Goodreads



   As much as I wanted to absolutely love this book, I have to say it was a bit cliche and at times I was rolling my eyes but I really think this was a special book in its own way because the concept is amazing - I am fascinated now by reincarnation! So even though I didn't love love it, I'm sure there are people that would!

  As a main character Lizzie did an awesome job, I mean sometimes I wanted to remind her gently that we got the point that she has Drew in her head but she is a very strong girl. I mean with a boyfriend like Jeremy and an outspoken best friend like Chelsea, that girl needs to be strong willed! She is on the quieter side but still  has some sass and I loved how she thought for herself instead of relying on other people. She was a very realistic character and had realistic teenage reactions (like with the bad grade - I would know, that's what I worry about too!) So I could easily relate to her.

  Drew was a total hottie, to put it blunt. After you understand why he had the mood swings it makes sense (he hates her than loves her to bits etc.) I loved how sweet he was! He really cared about Lizzie and stuck up for her. He just outshined Jeremy on so many levels. I understand that Jeremy was different before and I wish he was still that guy... but in this book, he wasn't. And I disliked it strongly, which I think I was supposed to do. He just was mean and disrespectful of Lizzie. Chelsea for some reason, I didn't like either even from the beginning. I liked her friendship with the MC but I didn't see enough of that friendship in action. All the secondary characters were distinct and well crafted.

  Ok, so I admit, I was so in it for the plot. I mean a reincarnated couple? Love it! Totaly romantic setting that was based on Taylor Swifts Love Story (one of my fav songs?!) Love it! Both those elements came to life in this book, the plot went by in a nice even pace and hooked me after a few pages. The ideas were well executed, I knew nothing about this topic and now I can say I know a little! The flashbacks were timed at the right moments and made it believable. This book is a romantics dream come true, at least it was for me. I mean it definitely falls into the category of 'love at first sight' but it makes sense since they knew each other and fell gradually in love in the past already!

  I recommend it to those who love sweet romances and the concept of past lives. Michelle Madow, great work on your first novel!

P.S. I just have to mention the cover... absolutely LOVE it! I mean the girl is beautiful but that mask? Sigh, I would love to have that mask!! That cover is gorgeous and really sets the mood for the story!

Excerpt:

"No way! I'm totally a chocolate girl," she said, laughing. "Now try and guess Lizzie's."
"Strawberry," he said without a second thought.
Surprise flashed across Chelsea's face. "Lucky guess," she said, looking at me in annoyance. She seemed to get over it a second later and returned her attention to Drew. "I bet your is ... coffee. Since you're a New Yorker and all. But let Lizzie try, too."
"Vanilla," I went with my first instinct. A moment later I realized that I should have guessed something that I knew couldn't be right so I wouldn't irritate Chelsea, but it was too late.
He looked at me, showing no emotion. "You've got it."