Thursday, June 9, 2011

Review for Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Pretties (Uglies, #2)Pretties (Uglies #2)

Author: Scott Westerfeld
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Public Library
Challenges: For the Love of YA, Library
370 pages



"Gorgeous. Popular. Perfect. Perfectly wrong. Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive" - Goodreads
  
   As a Pretty would put it, this book was totally "bubbly". It's a great continuem of the first book Uglies and gives us more Tally! Though I didn't love it as much as Uglies.... I have to admit that.

   In this book, I was less annoyed with Tally and by the end of the book she had changed from the Tally from Uglies. Now if this was good or bad I don't know. I'm still trying to figure it out. I finished this book a couple days ago and I'm stilling sitting on the fence. But I am sort of happy to report there is a new character Zane. How do I feel about him? I like him, not totally swoon worthy but I find he is a strong, bubbly character that will definitely have an effect in book 3 (hopefully). [ Just a note for this love triangle thing going on: Tally first loved David, then she turns Pretty and meets Zane who is also a Pretty and now is in love with him. She doesn't love David anymore which breaks my heart. I was totally team David but I do like Zane. *sigh* I guess it's up to Tally but David holds a special place in my heart.] Shay is not a huge part of this book except towards the middle but sad to say I don't like her anymore. I am not going to say why though! For those who know the book will understand why I'm sealing my mouth! The other characters were all well rounded and some surprised me with their attitude change!

  What can I say, the plot was totally not 'bogus'! [I've actually started usuing the words bogus and bubbly in everyday life by accident and people are staring at me funny]. The moral of this whole series is a great one! And I find myself glued to these books. There are enough exciting events to keep you going that you don't feel like you're growing a beard but also not rushed along. It's a really nice balance. There are a few surprises and twists. But what really stands out to me is the world that Scott Westerfield built. It is so cruel and controlling but do they have the right idea? I know that makes no sense but when you read the book you'll know what I mean.

  I recommend this book to those who have read Uglies or who have any sliver of interest in this series. I find them quite engaging and they give me an escape from the world! I am crossing and double crossing my fingers that the library has Specials!

Excerpt:

   Tally let her head fall back onto the pillow. The bed was spinning like a hoverboard now, the day just starting and already wiping out.

She slipped on her interface ring and listened angrily as the ping played, saying that no one would be admitted tonight without a really bubbly costume. Three hours to come up with something decent, and everyone else had a huge head start.

Sometimes, it felt like being a real criminal had been much, much simpler.

1 comment:

  1. Great review :) I started trying to insert 'bubbly' into sentences myself when I was reading it!

    PS: New follower.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!