Monday, January 26, 2015

(ARC) Review for Tear You Apart by Sarah Cross

21520203Tear You Apart (Beau Rivage)
By Sarah Cross
Published by Egmont January 27th 2015
Recieved Ebook from NetGalley
384 pages




"Faced with a possible loophole to her "Snow White" curse, Viv goes underground, literally, to find the prince who's fated to rescue her. But is life safe in the Underworld worth the price of sacrficing the love that might kill her?" ~ Goodreads






Review

Set in the magical town of Beau Rivage Tear You Apart holds so much promise of an exciting adventure, but didn't quite deliver.

I adored Kill Me Softly and being reunited with the characters was awesome. I love how the loose ends from the first book are tied up in this one (specifically Mira's family situation). Viv as a minor character in Kill Me Softly is great, her edginess fit into the Beau Rivage gang. However, a story starring her? Eh, no. I strongly dislike her. Yes, I do have sympathy for her (she get's into some horrid situations) but I really can't excuse her actions. She treats Henley like dirt. She is one of those girls who makes out with another guy to get the guy she actually likes jealous but then pushes the guy she likes away because they can't be together due to her curse but at the same time wants him to always be there for her. Inhale. Exhale. Henley deserves better. His anger issue is a little unnerving, but I admire how loyal, patient, and determined he is. As for Viv's prince and his family, they were developed well. Her stepmother's (the evil queen's) depth of character was surprising. 

 I have so much respect for Cross as she does not shy away from the original Grimm tales, instead she embraces them. Do not expect a fluffy fairytale retelling. There are dark going-ons. It amazes me how intertwined the various stories are and I love the original world Cross creates, it is entirely her own. The mystery was missing and there was quite a bit of lag time. It only really picked up at the end (now that part was very entertaining). Both books boast a solid ending - no need for panic over a cliff hanger.

I'd recommend Tear You Apart to readers who appreciate the Grimm tales and unique twists. Although not enjoying it nearly as much as the first (thanks a lot Viv), I think I will be on the look out for more!

Excerpt


"So." Blue flopped down on the bed. "Haven't seen you in a while. Thought maybe you were in your glass coffin already."
"Can you not tonight? I'm not in the mood."
"Sorry. Habit. You okay?"
......
"I'm just hungry," Viv said. "The food at the party was gross. Pate and caviar licked by a cat."
"That's what happens when you let a boots-wearing cat join your country club."
"He wasn't even wearing his boots."
"Scandalous. What happened to no shirt, no tiny boots, no service?"
Viv laughed. "I don't know. Standards are really falling at Seven Oaks. I'm going to see if I can find some food. I'll be right back."