Thursday, December 29, 2011

Review of Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)
By Tahereh Mafi
Published by Harper Collins
Personal Copy
338 pages

"Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior."-Goodreads



Blew. My. Mind. Tahereh is a literary genius mastermind! Her words will grasp you in its clutches and won't let go until the end. You will not want to stop reading!

Although Juliette is a little broken in the beginning of the book, it's like a transformation by the end. She builds confidence that has been taken from her and she begins to see how she isn't a monster. I really liked Juliette. We can see in the beginning that she's a little... not unstable but very distraught... because of her total isolation. I don't blame the girl for being the way she is! 264 days of isolation? And a life where nobody cared? Most people would be totally crazy but not Juliette. She's a strong MC that will capture your heart with her personality. I loved her voice in Shatter Me, it was very unique in my mind. Now for my new literary crush. Yes, you heard it hear first! I have a new crush. Adam. *sigh* Adam. He seriously is amazing spectacular. I treasured every scene they had together (and yes, some are pretty... heart pounding). I love Juliette and Adam together! They are the best couple ever! I especially enjoyed how their *fondness* for each other stemmed from the past. It made it realistic. I also have to say I loved Kenji and his sarcastic, over-confident, snarky, hot self - he added so much entertainment and laughter! James is a really cute character, I hope to see him more too. Oh and of course Warner the bad guy is lets say very well written.

The writing! WOW! What a writing style, when people say 'a strong sense of writing' - I will automatically think of Tahereh Mafi! Her words are like poetry, especially in the beginning. Although the cross-outs some people might find annoying, I enjoyed because by the end of the book there were barely any (that is because Juliette is thinking differently). I loved that aspect, I thought the cross outs and repeating words really made it unique. Simply fantastic writing; thrilling, intense, poetic and passionate!

I highly recommend this to lovers of romance, dystopian, mystery, adventure,  and X-men (I hear its similar!) I simply cannot get over that this was a debut! This has definitely made it to my favourites of 2011 all time!

Excerpt:

I've been locked up for 264 days.
I have nothing but a small notebook and a broken pen and the numbers in my head to keep me company. 1 window. 4 walls. 144 square feet of space. 26 letters in an alphabet I haven't spoken in 264 days of isolation.
6,336 hours since I've touched another human being.
"You're getting a cellmate roommate," they said to me.
"We hope you rot to death in this place For good behavior," they said to me.
"Another psycho just like you No more isolation," they said to me.
**********************************
My eyes open to 2 eyes 2 lips 2 ears 2 eyebrows.
I stifle my scream my urgency to run the crippling horror gripping my limbs.
"You're a b-b-b-b--"
"And you're a girl." He cocks an eyebrow. He leans away from my face. He grins but he's not smiling and I want to cry, my eyes desperate, terrified, darting toward the door I'd tried to open so many times I'd lost count. They locked me up with a boy. A boy.
Dear God.
They're trying to kill me.
(More @ this link :D )

Trailer: (Isn't it awesome!?)





3 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!!!! Sooooooooo glad to hear you loved this one as much as I did...do! I absolutely <3 Adam and Juliette is an amazing character too. I just love the cover cause it's sooooooooo shiny!!! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit bummed that I never got to this one in 2011... but perhaps it's best that I wait until right before the sequel comes out to read it so there's less painful wait, haha.

    I'm most excited for this writing that everyone seems to be drooling over! And Adam. Everyone seems to mention how swoon worthy he is in every review I read!

    Hmm, maybe I won't be able to wait until the sequel comes out to read this after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yayyyy! gosh, i forgot how awesome this book was. Love your review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!