Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Review for Deadly Little Games by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Deadly Little Games (Touch, #3)Deadly Little Games (Touch #3)

Author: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Publisher:Hyperion Book CH
Source:Public Library
Challenges: Library Challenge
304 pages





"Camelia and Ben have discovered a powerful bond: They both possess the power of psychometry, the ability to sense things through touch. For Ben, the gift is a frightening liability. When he senses a strong threat or betrayal, he risks losing control and hurting people. Camelia's gift is more mysterious. When she works with clay, her hands sculpt messages her mind doesn't yet comprehend. Before either teen has a chance to fully grasp these abilities, an unresolved family tragedy resurfaces in Camelia's life, irrevocably changing everything she cares about..."- Goodreads
  
This is the third book it the Touch Series, it continues on from Deadly Little Secrets and will be followed by Deadly Little Voices. Quite the entertaining series!

I still find Camelia relatable and a good main character. She sometimes gets herself into situations which frankly I would just plainly avoid, but that's just careful 'ol me. Where is the fun in that? Camelia is reasonable though and has a very complicated life. So understandibly sometimes she messes up. To some readers, she might come off a little predictable. In a way its true. Her best friends, Wes and Kimmie are in this book alot - to my delight. I love reading about them, they lighten the mood and are awlays there for Camelia! Together they are so funny sometimes, I laugh. Adam, Camelia's sort of ex-boyfriend from the last book is the main subject of this one (translation: he's in danger). I really like him but not in get-together-with-Camelia-way; more like a he's-so-sweet-and-just-a-great-friend way. Ben is not swoon worthy but I love his character (although, the trust issue and going away thing is getting old, anyone agree?). He is such a keeper otherwise... I really want them - Camelia and Ben - to get together finally, they make such a great couple! I am also excited to see what happens to Aunt Alexia!

The plot was eh. I'm starting to see a pattern with these books. Seriously. Camelia and Ben get back together, really creepy-stalkish scenario arises, they try and solve it but it ends up wrecking the relationship, creepy scenario takes place/gets solved, Ben saves Camelia but they end up not together. That's the general idea behind these books. But, sigh, I have to admit those creepy-scenario's always get me, especially this time! When Ben saved her I was like clutching the book so hard I got a paper-cut. The climax's in these stories are great, every time I do not expect the outcome. Creepy indeed. I also liked how the author intergrated the clues they found right into the book (crossword puzzles) and the audio recordings of sessions with the person behind the creepiness. That was an interesting aspect.

I recommend this to those who have read the two before, if you are still interested in the story that is. I think I will be reading the next one just to see what happens. I really have a fancy for Ben so I kinda need to know how it ends.

Excerpt:

AUDIO TRANSCRIPT 3

Doctor: So, I wanted to ask you about something that came up during our last session. What did you mean when you said that you can force someone to love you?
Patient: I mean just what I said: if you want someone badly enough, you can make them yours.

Doctor: Even if they don't want to be with you?
Patient: Sure.

Doctor: Have you ever tried?
Patient: Not yet.

Doctor: Do you plan to try?
Patient: I don't know. (Patent laughs.)

Doctor: Why is that funny?
Patient: This whole conversation's funny.
***
Doctor: Care to enlighten me?
Patient: Not really. You'll just have to wait and see, like everybody else.