Monday, December 6, 2010

Busting the Newbie Blues--meme hosted by Small Reviews!


Small Review has started a meme with the purpose to help smaller blogs gain a bit more of a following and maybe even learn about what they want on their blog and how others have achieved it! This runs through to the end of December. Doesn't this just describe my blog? A newbie...well I have been doing it for a month but hey its not that long. So to participate I had to choose which survey of questions I would answer I went with "New Blogger"...my blog isn't very big so thats why I chose it. Here it is:

1. When did you start your blog?

I started blogging on October 23, 2010.

2. Why did you start your blog?

I started my blog because I wanted to share my opinions/reviews of the books I read. Also, by stumbling on other YA blogs I found it looked  fun so I took it up!

3.What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far?

The biggest challenge I would have to say is getting enough or newer books to read. Since I cannot buy books (I'm basically broke) I rely on my library. I live in a small town so our library does not feature newer books and there are barely any YA books to begin with.

4.What do you find most discouraging about being a new blogger?

Looking at other book blogs that are literally flourishing and saying "Wow, why isn't that me?" or "How can I get there?" I just wasn't sure how to get my blog out there.

5.What do you find most encouraging?

That all the bloggers I have contacted recieve me kindly and helped me out.

6.What do you like best about the blogs you read? Have you tried to replicate this in your blog?

I like how the blogs I read, feature books I'm interested in. Yes, I have tried to replicate but its not going so well because all the books they feature are new...and look so good!

7.What do you dislike about blogs you’ve read? Do you try to avoid this?

I don't think I do have anything that I dislike from the blogs I read...for the second quesiton, yes I guess I would avoid that if it happened.

8.Any advice for other new bloggers?

Advice for new bloggers, hmmm... What really helped me to get started and find new blogger pals was events like The Blog Hop and Follow Friday. So check those out because a.)they're super fun to participate in b.) you meet lots of new bloggers and c.) followers start popping up!

9.Anything else you’d like to share about your experience?

Yes, I think blogging about books is great. Why? Well because of the obvious reasons above and because it also allows you to read about books (on other sites) that you may have not even taken a glance at before!

10.Is there anything you’d like to tell us about your blog?

My blog isn't amazing or spectacular or even good but I do post a blog everyday and it comes from my heart...(ok I'm getting sappy) lets just say that whatever I post is one hundred percent true and honest!

If you WANT TO KNOW MORE about this please click on this link: http://smallreview.blogspot.com/2010/12/event-busting-newbie-blues.html

Thank you for reading and have a great day!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining in! I enjoyed reading your responses.

    That is a shame about your library. Does your library have any kind of inter-library loan system set up? I'm in NY and my library ordered a DVD all the way from Kentucky! Maybe your library has something like that.

    I wouldn't worry too much about not having the newest stuff to review on your blog. I, and I'm sure most of us, have a huge TBR, so I'm constantly missing out on new books simply because I don't have the time to get to them.

    If you're reviewing older books, then that's still really helpful. You're reminding me of all the books I meant to read but never got around to and might very well have forgotten about.

    This is probably really helpful to authors/publishers too. They get so much buzz about their book when it first comes out, but then it sort of falls off the map. I think it's great that you put it back on the map again.

    I know I also like reading reviews of books I've read to see if the reviewer agreed or disagreed with me. Posting a review a little later helps up the odds that I've read the book and so can enjoy your review from that perspective.

    I think quality reviews matter a lot more than when you put them out. So don't worry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! It made me feel actually a little better! I check out that library thing! :)


    -Lulu :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sucks that your library doesn't have a lot of books. I don't know what I'd do if there wasn't a great library near me! Luckily, I live in the suburbs of Toronto, which means not only can I access the library in my town (which I don't bother going to since I'm not a fan of the atmosphere), the library in the neighbouring town (huge windows + comfy cushions + I know the librarians + books = one of my favourite places to be) but I can also access all 99 branches of the Toronto Public Library. Maybe if there's a bigger library nearby, you could go there. Also, ask about interlibrary loans. Sometimes libraries that are close to each other will allow for books to circulate between them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I'm a new follower. Looks like you're off to a great start - you have a fabulous design and I liked your review of the Dessen book. Things are definitely harder without a decent library. Have you tried sites like Bookmooch or Paperback Swap? I don't know much about them, but those might be worth looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I just did a post about this event on my blog. Stop by if you have time. :)

    As regards new books - have you tried Netgalley? They have pre-release e-galleys of lots of upcoming YA books. If you don't have an e-reader, you can read them on Adobe digital editions on your PC. Bookmooch is also good. I use it all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone! Yes I have just recently joined Netgalley and got Lost voices! Thanks again!

    -Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I'm only now getting around to checking out other blogs taking part in this event. Glad to have found your blog!
    That really sucks to hear about your library. Now that you have a netgalley account hopefully this'll make things easier for you to gain access to new YA books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to have found your blog through this event! I know how you feel just starting out, trust me. I was right where you are now...it's a process though, and it takes time. The important thing is to make your blog a reflection of yourself, and you'll enjoy it even more.

    Just have fun, and remember - we're always here to answer questions, so don't hesitate to ask! I'm following you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi fellow Newbie!

    That must be frustrating with your library, but blogging about books that aren't new releases is great too! Sometimes when I visit blogs and they are all blogging about the same books, that gets a bit annoying as I want to hear about other ones. Old and new. Great job! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!