Sunday, December 5, 2010

Review for Lucky T by Kate Brian


"Lucky T"
Author: Kate Brian
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Public Library
Rating: 4 stars
291 pages

So far, Carrie Fitzgerald's sixteen years have been pretty sweet. Straight A's, an adorable boyfriend, a starting position on the varsity basketball team...
But Carrie's luck is about to, well, change.
Suddenly, her boyfriend dumps her (to "hang out with his friends"!), she and her best friend have a massive blowout, and she gets a D on a biology test. Carrie knows what's wrong -- her mom accidentally donated her lucky T-shirt to Help India. That one adorable, perfect T-shirt was the source of all her good fortune.
So Carrie does what any girl would do: She's going to India. Cross your fingers and hope that Carries finds adventure, love, and maybe just a little good luck along the way.... - Summary from Goodreads

   I liked this book. I really did. Kate did a very nice job of conveying what it would feel like for a teenage girl to lose a precious item (which is more that just lucky to her, as you find out during the read). Even though I would never find myself in India of all places for a lousy T-shirt (even if it's lucky), it did put adventure into the story. And as always I like a good romance, I was satisfied throughout the book. Even though when she gets dumped by her boyfriend I kind of wanted to punch him --quite honestly. I do recommend this book if you like a.) foreign countries b.) luck c.) romance and d.) friendship. I gave this book 4 stars! Hooray for Kate Brian!

Excerpt:

   "Celia, where's the stuff my mom gave you for Help India? My favourite T-shirt was in there.
"Oh, Carrie, I'm sorry," Celia said, finallly focusing on Carrie's face again. "The Airway Express people picked those boxes up a couple of hours ago."
Carrie suddenly felt nauseated for the second time that day. She sat down on the closest footrest and put her head between her legs. Vivid flashes of triumphant moments with the T flased through her mind...
"Oh, wait. I've got the receipt right here," Celia said suddenly. "We can call them. Maybe we can still get it back."
Carrie's head jerked up so fast she gave herself whiplash. The pink slip of paper looked like gold to her. Celia rushed out and came back a moment later with a cordless phone. She dialed the number and held the phone to her ear, smiling encouragingly at Carrie.
"Hello? Yes, I'm calling to inquire about packages I sent out this afternoon. I'd like to stop them if I can," Celia said into the phone, glancing hopefully at Carrie, who crossed her fingers on both hands.
:Yes, the reciept number is 2789457," Celia said.
Time froze. Carrie couldn't breathe.
"Yes, I see. Well, thank you for checking," Celia said. She looked down and hit the off button on the phone. "I'm sorry dear. The plane already left for India."