Saturday, January 21, 2012

Review for Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

BittersweetBittersweet
By Sarah Ockler
Published by Simon Pulse
Ebook from Pulse It
384 pages

"Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances… a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.

So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life…and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last…." - Goodreads

What a cute, light, fun read! Bittersweet will have you laughing, smiling from ear to ear, and craving some Watonka cupcakes!

Hudson Avery, she is quite the character! As the reader, I feel the need to connect with the MC so that I care about what is going to happen - and Hudson made that very easy for me. At times, mostly at the end, I was getting frustrated at how she was constantly worried about herself and her future. In general though she is a great girl. She has big dreams and I was with her every step of the way towards those. She has a LOT going on and I was very impressed with how she handled events. Through the entire book, I was rooting for her! Especially when she showed 'em boys what they were talking about (did anyone else fist pump?) I think my favourite character (besides the drool worthy hockey boys) is Bug, her little brother. He was just the darndest, sweetest little boy ever! And I love how she cared about him. Dani her best friend was a great addition and added comical moments in there. Oh and of course the "cute, sweet guy" that the summary talks about is just that - the awesomenest boy ever (can I order one from Watonka?) The hockey crew was quite the bunch of guys too!!

The romance was as sweet as Hudson's cupcakes and I loved every little bit of it! Between her baking, skating, teaching and work - the plot is set at a very enjoyable pace. There are family issues that are dealt in here as well as Hudson finding what she really wants in life. The setting of Watonka gives this book such a different feel from others that I have read like it and it grew on me. Friendship and family really came first in Bittersweet. I also appreciated that there was a few references to music too! I'm a huge music fan so I really loved that! The ending wasn't perfect but it was wrapped up in a way that leaves you completely satisfied.

I highly recommend Bittersweet for those looking for a fun, wintery, sweet tastin' stand-alone read! I loved it to pieces!

Excerpt:

In three years of baking for Hurley's Homestyle Diner in Watonka, New York, I've never met a problem a proper cupcake couldn't fix. And while I haven't quite perfected the recipe to fix my father, I'm totally on the verge.
"Taste this." I pass a warm cupcake across the prep counter to Dani and lick a gob of cherry-vanilla icing from my thumb. "I think it's the one."
My best friend sighs. "That's what you said about the blue-berry lemon batch. And the white mocha ones. Have you seen this thing walkin' around behind me? It's the Great Cupcake Booty of Watonka." She turns and shakes it, a few corkscrew curls springing loose from the pile on her head.

Book Trailer

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!