Monday, December 8, 2014

The Liar Society (The Liar Society #1) by Lisa and Laura Roecker

9182417The Liar Society (The Liar Society #1) 
By Lisa and Laura Roecker
Published March 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Fire
Ebook from Library
368 pages

"Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.
To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)
Kate,
I'm here...
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you. 
Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder..." ~ Goodreads


Review

The Liar Society featured a smart, high spirited heroine, a spine tingling setting, and one heck of a secret.

Kate Lowry makes an excellent detective because she never gives up even in the face of danger and knows when to accept help. She has the guts to dig deep and uncover the truth. That determination was admirable, but I didn't like how she treated her neighbour Seth. He was like a mistreated puppy who didn't even realize how mistreated he was. It rubbed me the wrong way, but I'm glad that by the end of the book she was showing him more consideration. It was awesome when they teamed up and then a third partner came into the mix too. The trio was great! They all added something different to the mix. Kate's love interest (yes, there is a dash of romance) was cute and I loved their interactions. The Liar Society had a lot of characters and each of them had significant roles to play (seriously, read it and it will amaze you that almost every. single. character. is involved somehow). 

Having the whole mystery unfold at an elite private school instantly shot the coolness factor up ten notches. The setting was perfect as it held almost an ancient vibe. Hidden tunnels, secret crests, so called legends and Latin sayings? Yes, yes, yes and yes. The mystery itself wasn't very pressing until about half way through the book. It was then that I began to feel a sense of urgency. Pieces began clicking together and excitement actually took root. The chapters would randomly alternate between the past and present (past being before, during, and after Grace's death). Those flashbacks so to speak provided insight on the relationship between the girls and the events surrounding the "accident". The ending does tie things up well, but there is no doubt this is a series. It was crazy how everything came together!

I recommend this to readers who enjoy a good mystery, a determined sleuther, and just a touch of romance. It was fun and intriguing and I will be searching for the next in the series!

Excerpt

"Geez, Kate, are you trying to give me a heart attack?" he yelled.
"Get out of there now!" He stared at me blankly, so I tried to speak a language he'd understand. "Code Red! Code Red! Abort! Abort!"
Seth dove up into the backseat, clutching a sheet of paper to his skinny chest, and slid out of the unzipped plastic window. He shoved the paper at me, which I pushed down my uniform shirt, and we both scrambled to re-zip the window. We were casually leaning against Liam's Jeep when he walked to his car looking more confused than ever.
"Um...hi?" He looked from me to Seth and back.
Seth nodded his head, and I said a quick prayer that he'd let me do the talking. No. Such. Luck.
"Oh, hey, there, Liam. Kate was just showing me your sweet set of wheels here."
Seth banged on the side of the car. "What type of gas mileage does this beauty get?"
Oh,  my God. He sounded like a geriatric car enthusiast.