Thursday, December 4, 2014

Review for Pivot Point by Kasie West

11988046Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1)
By Kasie West
Published February 12th 2013 by HarperTeen
Ebook from Library
352 pages

"Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.
In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without." ~
Goodreads

Review

Pivot Point is a winning combination of colorful characters, a well executed and intriguing plot, sweet romance, and a touch of the not-so-ordinary.

It's been a long time since I have met a protagonist I love as much as Addie. It felt like I was the main character - her mouthiness and bookworminess fit like a comfy sweater. I became immersed in her life/lives and could completely get behind her. The comments and decisions she made never caused me to roll my eyes or bang my head against a wall. As for the rest of the cast, well, they practically walked off the page. Each individual was equipped with their own personality and somehow in a group setting it all worked like magic. The relationship between Addie and her best friend Laila was perfection. Their witty conversations had me smiling from ear to ear. And get this, parents are present and actually play a part! No joke. 

Now, romance. The unique approach (chapters that alternated between her two options) snuffed out any love triangle business, but still allowed us to see the best of both worlds. To be honest both guys didn't seem that special at first. But it soon became apparent which one I was going to root for - Trevor. Their relationship was wonderful because at first Addie was just looking for a friend - a best friend actually. Trevor fit the bill. They got along really well a friendship resulted. Only after did it grow into more. I like 'em slow budding romances. As for Duke, he was charming and kind to Addie, but he had nothing on Trevor in my opinion.

It all felt so realistic (except for the "mind abilities" of course) because the conversations and situations were natural. The plot was dynamic and never slow. Despite having no trouble putting it down (gasp), my interest was still there. Weird conundrum. I will be one to admit that the world building could have used some work; however, I didn't see this as a bad thing. Instead of information dumps, we got subtle slips. Soon a bigger picture was formed from all those hints. I loved the gradual submersion into the Compound world. Regarding the alternating "options" - do not be scared. It switches smoothly and will not leave you in a cloud of confusion. Amazing, but true. Even when the two seem to intertwine slightly. I am relieved to have the second book standing by - that ending left me wanting more. How heartbreaking her decision turned out to be, but it proved just how well grounded Addie was. She does not shy away from sacrifices.

I highly recommend Pivot Point to everyone - readers who enjoy relatable characters, "super hero powers" (read it and you'll see the inside joke), romance, and exciting plot. Seriously, give it a go - you will not be sorry! 

Excerpt

"I'm an aide in the library during sixth period."
"Nice." That would be my dream class.
***
"Wait, so you're telling me this is like a prison sentence for you?"
"More like a torture chamber."
 I gasp. "I'm deeply offended."
"It's just this place is so quiet and these books all start to look the same after a while."
"Charles Dickens is turning over in his grave right now," I tell him.
He forces a serious expression, straightens up, and nods. "Noted. I will not criticize your personal friends when you are within hearing range." He shifts the books in his hands then looks at one of the spines. "Well, I'd better get back to work. The librarian" - he checks over his shoulder - "is a Nazi."
My eyes go wide. "She is?"
He lowers his brow. "Not literally."
"Oh. Right."