Monday, June 13, 2011

Review for My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison

My Fair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #1)My Fair Godmother (My Fair Godmother #1)

Author: Janette Rallison
Publisher:Walker Books
Source: Personal Copy
Challenges: For the Love of YA
320 pages


Finding your one true love can be a Grimm experience!

 After her boyfriend dumps her for her older sister, sophomore Savannah Delano wishes she could find a true prince to take her to the prom. Enter Chrissy (Chrysanthemum) Everstar: Savannah’s gum-chewing, cell phone–carrying, high heel-wearing Fair Godmother. Showing why she’s only Fair—because she’s not a very good fairy student—Chrissy mistakenly sends Savannah back in time to the Middle Ages, first as Cinderella, then as Snow White. Finally she sends Tristan, a boy in Savannah’s class, back instead to turn him into her prom-worthy prince. When Savannah returns to the Middle Ages to save Tristan, they must team up to defeat a troll, a dragon, and the mysterious and undeniably sexy Black Knight. Laughs abound in this clever fairy tale twist from a master of romantic comedy! - Goodreads

  
    What can I say? I'm a sucker for Janette Rallisons books! I thought this book was killer good... yes it could kill with its goodness. I am telling you to go get in NOW... here I'll even wait.... You got it? I know right the cover is totally fun!

  In the very beginning it starts off with a letter and report from the one and only Chrissy. I thought she was hilarious from the beginning! What a total 'teen' godmother... I mean she is conveyed exactly how she looks on the cover! A sassy, shoppin loven, gum chewer, cell phone kind of girl. The chapter that follows is written from Savannah's older sister's point of view. You can't help but like Jane, I mean she totally didn't mean to stab Savannah in the back (notice the irony?). After another hilarious letter from Chrissy's teacher stating that she left out some 'details' aka her mishaps, we come to the main perspective - that of Savvanah. Then you start reading and you can't help but feel sorry for her! I mean, really? So now you don't hate Jane too much but are conflicted with who to like.. but that didn't pose any problem for me what's so ever. Then there is Tristan. *Sigh* Tristan, Tristan, Tristan... ok *shakes head*. He is so awesome in this story! The pool scene is where we're introduced to him and as soon as that moment came bam! I knew it was going to be a great romatic story. All the characters were great and played their role excellent!

  The plot was so fitting. I don't know about you but I LOVE these types of stories... combining time travel, fairy tales, magic, laughter, and romance. I mean who doesn't want to laugh? And trust me you laugh all right... I burst into a fit of giggles over that Snow White section and when Clover makes his jokes about the food! Anyway, if you love comedy (not overdone though at all) and a fun story, look no further. The writing is awesome, the names are great (I loved the names), and the plot and turn of events will keep you reading right to the end!

  I HIGHLY recommend this book! It left me with this upbeat and satisfied feeling... I just can't explain how awesome this book was. Even though it is part of a series this is a great stand alone but you know when you see a great movie and say 'hmm I wonder what other adventure -insert name- has?' well that's what the second book does. I've  heard it's even BETTER than this one so I am extremely excitied. I guess all that's left to say is GO GET THIS BOOK!

Here is also the book trailor: Enjoy :)


Excerpt:

Dear Professor Goldengill,

Thank you for allowing me to raise my semester grade through this extra credit project. First off, let me say that I was a little worried about the whole thing. When I went into the Fairy Godmother Affairs office to get my assignment, the lady behind the desk wouldn't even tell me which of the sisters, Jane or Savannah, was supposed to get the wishes. She gave me a condescending look and told me that as a fairy godmother my first task was to figure that out. Then she handed me this huge report to read and said, "I do hope this mission is more successful than your last."

Personally, I think the main problem I had with my last assignment was the leprechaun assistant FGA gave me. I mean, I know that we have a lot of free time during these projects, but halfway through the job he wandered off to play poker with card sprites. and I never saw him again. So I told the lady that I wanted to work with, you know, some really hot elf guy or at least a unicorn, but she flipped through her papers and said, "You've been assigned Clover T. Bloomsbottle."
Which is the same leprechaun I had last time.
I asked the lady, in a very clam manner - despite what she might tell you- "What in the world is FGA thinking?"

4 comments:

  1. great review, Lulu! I'm so sad my cousin didnt have this book, I'm going to have to keep an eye out when I go to the Library or B&N! thanks again for sharing :)

    -D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book!! Janette Rallison rocks!! I am making a book reveiw blog to (link here: http://imlostinabook.blogspot.com/ ) and I was wondering: How do you have the area where you can go to the reiviews and contact me and etc. How do you have the rating system and the shelfari? I would love ifyou answered, but if these are you're secrets, go ahead and keep them!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah I love your review! Yes! I felt exactly the same way. I was in tears with the Snow White scene! This was such a fun book with all my favorite elements all rolled into one hilarious package.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana - I hope you get to read it... I think you'll enjoy it :) Thanks for commenting!

    Shelby - Congrats on starting you're own book blog! I will check it out later and be sure to drop a comment... email me all you're questions, I'd be happy to help! Thanx for stopping by!

    Small - I know! I had the same reactions and it really did have all of my favourite elements in one place too. Which I enjoyed very much :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!