Sunday, April 3, 2011

Review for The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson

The Last Little Blue Envelope (Little Blue Envelope, #2)The Last Little Blue Envelope (13 Little Blue Envelopes #2)

Author: Maureen Johnson
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: April 26, 2011
Source: ARC from NetGalley
Challenges: For the Love of YA
304 pages

" Ginny Blackstone thought that the biggest adventure of her life was behind her. She spent last summer traveling around Europe, following the tasks her aunt Peg laid out in a series of letters before she died. When someone stole Ginny's backpack—and the last little blue envelope inside—she resigned herself to never knowing how it was supposed to end.
Months later, a mysterious boy contacts Ginny from London, saying he's found her bag. Finally, Ginny can finish what she started. But instead of ending her journey, the last letter starts a new adventure—one filled with old friends, new loves, and once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Ginny finds she must hold on to her wits . . . and her heart. This time, there are no instructions."- Goodreads

  This was a good follow up to 13 Little Blue Envelopes! I enjoyed it very much!


  It took me awhile to adjust to the third person writing - I think that's what it's called, when the author uses "they",  "her" etc. I'm used to reading first person; when you are kind of like in there head and hear they're thoughts. But once I adjusted (by like the fourth page) I came to really like the story!


 I enjoyed the amount of romance in this book. It didn't overshadow the plot, and there was enough to satisfy this reader. It also wasn't 'swooning' movie style love, which was quite refreshing. It was gradual. I'm not saying anything happened but I'm also not saying that nothing happened. Because in this story there isn't just Ginny and Oliver... there are other characters as well. You'll have to read to find out! The adventure was a good dose. It wasn't too much but again, it was a good amount. I liked watching Ginny grow in her personality and style. There were even a few laughs. Yes, I did say that. I admit I laughed a few times, mostly at Keith's remarks. Overall, it was a great add on for the series. It definitely added something to it. Great work Ms. Johnson! I recommend this book, but you must read the first book before! Otherwise you lose out :)

Excerpt:

 At this point, the letter stopped. At the bottom, below the image, was a short message:

Sorry to interrupt. You don't know me, and likewise, I don't know you. As you can see, I possess a letter (actually, a series of letters) that seem to belong to you. But since this last letter contains very important information. I have to be sure that I am speaking to the right Virginia Blackstone. If you think this letter belongs to you, please let me know. My name is Oliver, and I live in London. You can reach me at this address.

  For a moment, she did nothing. No movement. No speaking. She waited for the information to sink in. This was a page of the last letter. This was a task undone. This was the universe more or less demanding that she return to England at once and finish what she had started. This was fate. This was her brain going into hyperdrive.

 The old Gin had never traveled and knew no one in England. Old Ginny would think, plan, be cautious. But new Ginny needed a distraction, and a reason to see her kind-of-something non-boyfriend .... and she knew someone who knew how to make unlikely things happen. She got up and started to pack.

3 comments:

  1. I still need to read the first book in this series... but it is on my list of must reads for this month, so hopefully book two will be soon to follow. Thanks for the review. - Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda - Thanks for commenting!

    Kate - Thanx for stopping by and if you do get around to it, I can't wait for your review!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!