Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Review for How to Take the Ex out of Ex-Boyfriend by Janette Rallison

How to Take the Ex Out of Ex-BoyfriendHow To Take the Ex out of Ex-Boyfriend

Author: Janette Rallison
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Source: Personal Copy/ Won from Janette's Blog (Thank you!!)
Challenges: For the Love of YA
265 pages

"Sixteen-year-old Giovanna Petrizzo finds it hard enough to fit in. Three years since her family moved to Texas, she's still the newcomer compared to everyone around her. It doesn't help matters when her twin brother, Dante, takes on the mayor's son by running for class president. The least she could expect, though, would be for her boyfriend, Jesse, to support their cause. But Jesse's apparent defection triggers Giovanna's rash emotional side, and before she knows it, she's turned Jesse from the boy of her dreams to the exboyfriend she dreams of winning back."- Goodreads

  This was my first read from Janette Rallison.... I have been waiting months, I mean months, to read her work and let me tell you she does not disappoint!! I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but like her its funny. I was up at one o'clock just to finish it cause I needed to know what happened, and since the rest of my family was sleeping I had to surpress my laughter which let me tell you is not easy. I would be reading and read a line and burst out laughing which at that point I had to clamp my hands over my mouth. It was hard. It truly was "a-laugh-out-loud romatic comedy"!


  The characters were well developed. The main character Giovanna (it's Italian btw), is easy to relate to and finds herself in the most awkward situations. Those instances were when I laughed... crazily. The other characters were good too, her boyfriend erm, *cough* ex- boyfriend is very swoon worthy to say the least. If girls could find a guy like that (though he has flaws), the world be awesome!! Down to the point, the characters were solid.


 The plot was in my opinion very good, Throughout the book, there was a steady pace at which the plot progressed and you weren't just lagging behind or grasping at straws to try and find out what just happened. That was what I really enjoyed, Janette's writing style. It wasn't only clear and smooth, it was funny and clean.


  The whole book surpassed my expectations and I am so happy I won it. Oh, did I not mention is was signed? Yah, it was!! My first signed book EVER and she even gave me two bookmarks... can you say thank you?? I can! THANK YOU! So, I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a good strong laugh and down-right enjoyable time.... I can't wait to read more by her!!

Excerpt:

  I bet you Cinderella didn't get along with Prince Charming's friends. Oh sure, the knights and barons probably put up with her on account that she was pretty and had such dainty feet and all, but you know every duchess and countess in the kingdom hated her guts. That's how women are when someone encroaches on their turf.

  And that's why all the girls at Jesse's birthday party ignored me. While he mingled with the guests to make sure everyone had enough food, I sat next to a group of cheerleaders who talked around me like I was a piece of furniture.

  I don't know why I expected any different. They'd acted this way since I started dating Jesse two months ago, giving me subtle and not so subtle messages that just because I was going out with a guy from the popular clique didn't mean I fit in with them.

5 comments:

  1. Lulu! Where do you find these awesome books? I love reading your reviews! :) I ALWAYS add your read books to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this review! You answered every question I had. I just won a copy too, so I'm so glad to read your glowing review now. I loved her book My Fair Godmother, and it sounds like all the things I loved about that one (funny, likable main character, wonderful romance) are strong in this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing review! I definitely have to start following you :) I love Janette Rallison as an author. My friend recommended her to me and I fell in love with her writing. I haven't read this one, but it looks fantastic. I love the cover :) If you liked this one, you should check out Just One Wish by her. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small- I am hoping to buy that one soon! I hope you enjoy it too! Thanks for reading!

    Shaylene- Thanks for following, I love her writing too! I appreciate you stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!