Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Review for Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Ruby Red (Edelstein Trilogie #1)
By Kerstin Gier
Translated by Anthea Bell
Published by Square Fish
Bought Paperback
352 pages

"Gwyneth Shepherd’s sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon—the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the eighteenth century and in contemporary London, they can trust."-
Goodreads


Ruby Red was a great time travel book that had me reading late into the night! I believe that this series holds much promise for an exciting tale.

Gwyenth Shepherd is a character that most girls will relate to; she's a normal girl (except for her gift) and has thoughts just like an average teenage girl. She's into things like movies, hanging out with her best friend etc. Gwen's relationship with her best friend Lesley was simply fantastic. I loved (gah LOVED!) that she confided in  her and didn't have any secrets. Their strong friendship allowed Gwen to deal with, well with having her life turned upside down: it grounded her. Lesley's role in the story was super, she's definitely one of my favourite characters.

Ruby Red did start off a bit slow, I think the author wanted to properly introduce all the characters to the reader and have them understand the situation. I thought the character development was great. Every character had their own personality and background. Gideon is your typical male counterpart to the main character but I found his personality qualities were great. How can one resist some arrogance? Especially when they know that under neath it all is a sweet boy? One thing I'd like to mention to potential readers: at the end of the book there is a character page to help you keep track of everyone --use it! I didn't know about it till the end but I think it would have helped greatly.

The author was definitely using this book to set up the real adventure; I felt at the end that the excitement just started. It took a long time before the interesting parts began happening, namely Gwen travelling back in time with Gideon. The first half of the book introduces us to the characters and to the situation, as well as explains what these time travelers are all about. A few things regarding the mysterious 'Circle' flew over my head but I found it all very fascinating. The fact that it was set in London was so awesome (I've always wanted to go there). And the little quotes/diagrams in between the story really helped to clear up family ties and such. I must also applaud the translator of this book (it was originally written in German) - the story flowed smoothly and I kept on forgetting that this was a translation.

I'd recommend this to time travel fans that love some romance and intrigue thrown in there. Ruby Red had me begging to read more, I want more adventures with Gwen and Gideon!

Excerpt

"Gideon, this is Gwyneth Shepherd," said Mr. George, with a little sigh. "Gwyneth, this is Gideon de Villiers."
Gideon de Villiers. The polo player. The other time traveler.
"Hello," he said politely.
"Hello." Why was my voice hoarse all of a sudden?
***
Gideon nodded. "I was on my way up in any case. See you, Mr. George. Good-bye for now, Winnie."
Who was Winnie?
"Gwyneth," Mr. George corrected him, but Gideon had already turned the corner.

Trailer